Welcome and Introductions

Welcome Magpie! Kemeticism can appear daunting with much to learn. A few things to get you started: Take it easy, get into a good research habit as the best material is the academic research, feel free to ask questions here. Most importantly keep an open mind as even though I’m 30+ years into my Kemetic journey I still know nothing and frequently have to adjust what I know. That is completely normal :slight_smile:

Finally have fun too as there’s such much beauty (and surprisingly modern thinking) to be found in ancient Egyptian history.
Kev

1 Like

Thank you for the warm welcome @kev! I’m working my way through a stack of books at the mo, and my to-read list keeps getting longer. Fortunately I love doing research, piecing together bits of the puzzle as I go. I’m also a bit of a language nerd, so it feels like I might be in just the right place :wink:

1 Like

Books and books. Yep thats the way! I did create a topic somewhere for book recommendations/reviews if you feel you want to through some that way. I know I should do some too - its on my list :slight_smile: Good luck anyway!

1 Like

Hi Senneferet, nice to see you here. :slight_smile: And of course welcome to everyone else as well! It has always seemed like there were a good number of us around, but all spread out in the different little online pockets of kemetics, so it’s good to have someplace geared specifically for UK folk.

And did somebody say books? I recently finished cataloging mine in an attempt to help prevent accidental double purchases. The url is https://bezenwepwy.libib.com/ if anybody wants to take a look. I am happy to supply photos of any pages needed. Eventually Libib hopes to introduce the ability to upload pictures other than covers and I’ll add in tables of contents when they do.

3 Likes

@Tawonshet When I saw you were here, I knew this had to be a good group! :smiley: I’m looking forward to injecting some oomph back into my research and practice. Hello and welcome to @MagpieMason

2 Likes

Hey. Im a south african who moved to the uk. Formally an athiest but now I’m kemetic. I mainly worship anpu,auset,nephthys,set and ra. Though im new to all this.

Thought id join in hopes of making some friends and learning more stuff. Battling to make friends here in the uk.

I had really heavy experiences with anubis and nephthys. That turned me to them.

2 Likes

Welcome aboard! Feel free to post any questions, we’re all of varying stages of our journey with this bunch of deities, and from pretty much every conversation I have with someone we’ve most likely been there and will sympathise. :slight_smile:

Well I been told I’m connected to anubis and nephthys. Not sure what it means haha. But he sends my signs constantly. And i have this extreme love for those two. I find it weird.

1 Like

Hello and welcome! I also follow Anpu/Anup

Hello! I’m Hayley. :slight_smile:

I have been intermittently walking my path of Kemeticism for 10+ years, but life gets in the way. I heard about this site at Witchfest so thought I’d give it a try and reconnect with the community a bit.

My introduction into Kemeticism was Seshat - I stumbled across her while doing general research and, well, she never really left!
I have also worked with Thoth.

3 Likes

Welcome Hayley!. Glad you popped over to say hello. Hope you enjoyed WItchfest, it was its usual manic atmosphere :slight_smile:

Feel free to poke around and ask any questions, some of the common ones may already have some threads on. Enjoy and catch up at some point.
Kev

1 Like

Welcome Hayley! It’s nice to see some new faces :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi,

Im new here, (obviously) I have studied Egyptology since i was a little girl and my God mother got me into it. I have a few diplomas (online type course) in egyptology and am working towards a degree on it. I decided to convert to Kemetic about 10 years ago and am glad to have finally found something based in the UK. Alot of my research into Egyptology has been based around Ma’at.

Really look forward to getting to know people with the same interest

Sophie

2 Likes

Hi and welcome! You are in fine company as we’ve all pretty much landed the same way. Feel free to wonder about and ask as many questions as you want.

Kev

Hi, so I thought I’d introduce myself properly. I have touched on a bit elsewhere already.

I was born into an Evangelical Christian home and I was very into it! I then converted to Catholicism and thought about paganism, almost become a Catholic nun but within that process acknowledged that I was a lesbian (I had always been interested in women, but thought it was ‘a phase’), met my wife and had a Civil Partnership (just before gay marriage was legal). Went around the Christian denominations, then became an atheist for years and was very angry with Christianity.

Aphrodite had been around in the background for years until I finally acknowledged her this year. From there I’ve been lead to Kemeticism. My interest in Kemeticism started via my painting hobby. I painted a scene from Tutankhamen’s tomb… A project I chose and discovered that it was the exact same painting that my art tutor had painted as his first ever project (he said it was a good painting and didn’t need to give me advice). The day I finished it is the day he died of cancer (although I did some touch ups on the Painting later). He left me on that same day with one of his small paintings of a swan which now sits in an unintentional alter/shrine to Aphrodite, which had developed over the years.

I have always been fascinated by ancient Egypt, but painting their pictures/hieroglyphics lead me back into my fascination stating with that painting I mentioned. I also fell like perhaps Aphrodite has handed me over to the Egyptian pantheon.

One further painting in particular has affected me. I decided to paint an Ancient Egyptian style mandala deciding what to paint as I went along… By the time I got to the middle I got to the Eye of Djehuty, which surprised me. However, every time I walked past that painting in my hallway, I felt reassured and protected (this was at the start of Covid 19).

Since lockdown, I have moved this painting into my work space on an art easel with some if my paint brushes and materials below the painting. Also have my plan there for my current project, a tomb Painting of Nefertari and Isis. It’s become another alter but I didn’t initially intend it to be. My art desk turned into a home working space, which has turned into a sacred space.

A big way I feel connected to Djehuty and by extension Seshat is through my work. I work for local government and I’m home working during the pandemic. I feel that Djehuty and Seshat are now part of the digital age. I have also started volunteering as a ‘digital champion’ at work to help others get to grips with new tech and software.

I now have a simple practice and routine starting with the 42 principles of Maat as I begin work, a water offering to Djehuty (who I work with throughout my working day), Seshat (there in the background) and at times Isis (she comes and goes usually at the end of my working day and the start of family life). A food offering part way through the day too. I then close the working day with a chat with Djehuty about how it’s gone, what I have learned ans also about personal life. Seshat tends to be part of personal life chats.

I feel like a modern version of an ancient scribe!

2 Likes

Ah yes… And no one in the offline world knows that I’ve been entering into Kemeticism! Keeping it to myself for now. My wife knows about my fascination with Ancient Egypt, my paintings etc but not that I’ve been working with the gods/goddesses!

1 Like

Hello and welcome! I hope you find us to be an easy going bunch, who are happy to chat. Senebty, Senneferet

Thank you for sharing that. We do eventually find our home. Quite a fan of Thoth myself he is sat facing me within arms reach right now. Expression through our own art is very satisfying isn’t it?

Anyway, welcome, feel free to ask any questions as @Senneferet says, we’re all easy going here and a good natter can set off an interesting chain down any nearby rabbit holes.

Kev

Thank you for the welcome Senneferet and kev. Thanks for reading my long post! I’m glad I’ve found this forum. It’s nice to be able to chat about all of this freely and to ask experienced Kemetics questions.

Easy going is a good thing.

Being at the start of this path, I’m very excited about reading and researching. At the moment I’m trying to learn whenever I have the time.

A challenge for another day is to tell my wife about this. She is currently an atheist and not a fan of any spiritual practices. I totally understand that because I’ve been through it myself. I think she may still be in the ‘angry’ phase I’ve just left.

If at some point I start thinking about using incense and sitting in a darkened room in front of an alter, I’ll definitely have to tell her. She might notice something haha!

2 Likes

Hopefully your wife will come round. My husband is Church of England and it’s taken a few years for him to relax and see things from a different point of view.

1 Like