Forum Platform Move

Of the 80+ registered users fewer than half dozen are using this forum now so because it is costing me $12 per month which while not much adds up over the year, and on top of that the admin requirements to keep security patches current (the site gets a lot of bot traffic) I feel the need to move to a cheaper and less admin intense platform.

I adore Discourse which this site is based on but the tech stack required to run it is way too high. I’ve another solution that is half that amount so will give that a go instead of just closing completely.

Don’t worry though, all of this content won’t disappear. I’ve made a copy and pushed to https://archive.kemetictemple.uk where it will sit forever more.

Of course that is the public space. If you have any personal messages between users and/or posts in the registered user areas you want to save you will need to grab them.

I will keep a local backup of this system for some time should it need to come back for some odd reason.

Time frame to do this: I’m pretty busy with many projects right now I would like to have got rid of this in the next month or two (it is after all costing me money so sooner rather than later is ideal), but I want you folks to get what you want out before it goes. I will give a week’s warning once I’m fully ready. It will only take less 24hrs to switch domains over to a new service.

Thanks for the support over the last few years.
Kev

2 Likes

As there has been no activity since posting this I will set the site read only so I can copy it and then take it down.

If you have items in private messages then please get that ASAP.

Thanks
Kev

Currently archiving. This site will be taken down in the next week.
Thanks and see you on the new forum.
Kev