Why are we here? What is the purpose of life?

I’ve been asking myself this question as I’ve been reading the book of the dead (I really like this translation by the way): https://amzn.eu/d/gSwoxEv

Whatever your beliefs (agnostic Kemetic, atheist Kemetic, theist Kemetic), what is the purpose of all the trials and tribulations that the dead go through in this text? What is the purpose of a continued life in the afterlife? What is the purpose of life on earth?

Are relationships the reason behind it a (between humans, god’s, animals and nature)? Is the purpose (provided in the creation myths) that creation of us by the gods are to have relationships with them? Why would the gods create humans when they have their own siblings etc? Did the gods create us at all? If not, what is the purpose of these creation myths and what do they tell us about the reasons for us being here?

If you’re a Kemetic on a budget, you can access some sources here (outdated translations, but still useful): Sacred Texts: Ancient Egypt

Wish I knew. Perhaps to experience a physical reality??

1 Like

I’ve been asking myself some of the same questions lately and I’m still no closer to answering them!

I’d say I am an agnostic Kemetic. A lot of the time I question whether the messages I get are from my subconscious or whether the Netjeru do really exist/are behind the messages. Sometimes I wonder whether my spiritual experiences are linked to parts of the human brain that are currently undiscovered by science. But sometimes I lean more towards thinking that the Netjeru do really exist, like at this moment!

Either way, Kemeticism works for me! Although, I sometimes wish that I was more certain in my beliefs regarding the existence of the Netjeru but there we are…

The drive for meaning is itself part of life. I do not think there was any personal intent behind it’s creation… but I can understand others having that belief, and it being useful for them.

Enforcing Ma’at is in our nature, and we are the legacy of our ancestors… but beyond that I think its very personal.

As a follower of Ptah I feel that He is involved in all creations, including life.

As for the Book of the Dead and the Weighing of the Heart, Ammit, the Duat, Akhu, Bau, Kau and so on… I see all of these things in concrete reality to some extent - but I feel we have an incomplete picture from our current perspective.

1 Like