What does magic mean to you?

How would you define ‘Magic’ and what does it do for you? How do you use it?

Ooooo now that is a massive question. A good one. But a massive one. And oh look another essay :slight_smile:

Now while I tread a primarily Kemetic path I will often fill in some of the gaps with Chaos Magic principles because of my science background. Therefore to me magic is both heka in the ancient Egyptian sense, and the divine words of the gods as well as my force of will upon event probability.

I’ve done some stupid things with magic, we do tend to when we start out and that is fine, our limits of damage prevent us from breaking too much. Taking personal responsibility for our actions is key. Now, decades on I might do less formal magic, and more adhoc on the spur and for greater effect (read: higher risk). That is the way it sort of goes as you experience more.

There is a fantastic meme that I see from time to time that goes something like: What do you do if someone upsets you?
Beginner witch: Works out moon, sun and cycles. Gathers various crystals and spends ages planning.
Intermediate witch: Takes things from their pockets and uses that
Advanced witch: Either punches them or tells them to sod off

Its spot on. A good source on why is to read Terry Pratchet’s witches series of books :slight_smile:

How you combine magic with deity is another art form all on its own.

The best advice I can give is to go out there any play, don’t worry at the early stages about what can go wrong. Learn what works and what doesn’t.

Thanks Kev. I have to say, I am a bit scared of giving it a go. I feel the need to read more about it beforehand if I do decide to try it out. Even though I love Ancient Egypt in many ways, Magic has always been a mysterious and scary bit for me. But then so too was interacting with the Gods/Goddesses before I gave it a go. Probably to do with needing to break down my own myth barriers.

I do understand the hesitation. You don’t have to if you don’t want, I knows plenty who don’t do magic and they are happy with that. Most will start with divination as it has fewer repercussions. Maybe work up a relationship with deity first, for that is where much of the magical work tends to make use of them, so a relationship is handy.

Sure, no rush to do anything you aren’t comfortable with. This all takes time. :slight_smile:

:slightly_smiling_face:

For me Heka or more modern magic is a part of life, just as much as devotional practices and my love of the gods is. Its part of who I am and what I do, I don’t necessarily have to plan for it, it just is. Of course, sometimes giving the extra ritual makes me feel better, but I trust my deities protect me always, and things that Happen, Good or bad, come in at the right time.

As far as what I use heka for, all sorts. Healings mostly, divination but not tarot. I like using ‘sidewalk oracles’ (check out Robert moss for that). For manifesting what I need, for protection. You name it, I’ve probably done it lol.

I agree with Kev, it’s a case of experimenting and going at your own pace, and doing what you feel you can handle. When you are ready, you will know. It’s still wise to take precautions, and not so anything too stupid. The old, if they asked you to jump off a cliff, would you? (yep, cos I’m a witch and I can fly haha)

Enjoy and have fun!

1 Like

For me, magic is about connection. When I see a handprint on a cave wall, left there by someone who lived thousands of years ago — I feel a little wisp of magic. When I’m sitting by a body of water, especially at night, I can sense the vastness of existence, and I feel that connection.

When I think of heka, I think of stillness, wonder, and contemplation. To get those profound moments, you have to slow down, and listen. Devotional activities definitely help me in this regard, but I don’t see myself as an “active” user…more like a witness.

For me, magic is in the realization that what we consider complex things (eg. computer programs) are just simple things (in our case, numbers) modifying themselves. And given that everything is interconnected and fuzzy, heka is just a way to “mess” with those things probabilistically or using a different method of action.

1 Like