Virus and isolation check in

Cool! Well, as it happens I do already have everything I need.

I had a really strong feeling which was constantly bugging me that I really needed to create a separate space. I was hung up on it being ‘perfect’ but I actually was being directed towards my own things. It’s actually more personal.

2 Likes

That’s lovely! Love the colours. Personal is best.

Thanks! I tried to stick to ancient Egyptian colours in my painting. The only one I don’t have is Malachite green, so I had to mix it up as close as I could. They would have used the mineral Malachite to make the paint, but I can’t find a replica of that.

I used acrylic, but the other colours are still the same colours that the Ancient Egyptians used. Took me ages to find out what ‘Egyptian Blue’ was. Turns out it’s a common paint today but the name was changed to ‘Cerulean Blue’.

I live a bit of colour!

Although I’m not one for incense, I’m using some old incense I already had. I just light one stick and waft it around a little but then put it out. Smells lovely, but it’s just the smoke! This method does minimise the smoke so that’s good.

1 Like

I’ve recently been exploring joss sticks (to make some for my shop) and came across some that were low smoke if that helps. I can’t fully remember but I think it was the Japanese incense, its a high grade and low smoke. If you’re happy with what you’ve got then that’s fine, but maybe worth a look if you need some variations.

Thanks Kev. I am happy with what I have for now, but when I run out I’ll consider Joss Sticks. Thanks!

Is your shop online? I’d be interested in having a browse.

1 Like

Well, my wife is unhappy with incense and anything that resembles it unfortunately. Same goes for oil burners and diffusers. She has agreed to me using candles because she doesn’t associate those with rituals… Even though that’s blatantly what I’ll be using it for…

That sucks. I get such things can be triggering and maybe in time things will change.

My wife doesn’t get on with incense as it gives her headaches, the diffuser not so much and she likes candles. I tend to burn incense which I prefer with the doors shut and preferably when she isn’t around, which at the moment is proving difficult with the lock down.

Either way, candles are still fine, and if you use a wide enough candle you could put a drop of oil or incense in the melted wax for a brief burst of scent if that works for her without being too obvious.

Well, where my wife does have a fair point… I do have asthma so I should be careful. Not severe asthma but still. Door shut and window open hasn’t worked for my wife. I only wave an incense stick around for a few seconds too, so not like I’m burning it for a length of time.

I’ve been looking up naturally made soy candles with scents. She’s never minded scented candles before! Don’t think she can argue with that one. No harmful chemicals and it’s something she’s more familiar with. Either that or as you say, natural candle without scent and drop a little oil in it.

If the gods/goddesses are happy with all scents I can stick to the scented candle idea to start with?

Oh yes. Any scent is fine. Its the act of purification of the air that they are getting at. I will post my fav soy candles into the market place in a sec to save cluttering up this thread with shopping links.

Half way house is fair to all concerned :slight_smile:

1 Like

How’s everyone doing with the current situ?

Bit of a strange limbo…Easing restrictions and almost living in a normal way, but not quite!

I feel it’s difficult to get a balance between having to live a normal life to some degree (dependent on individual circumstances), but being alert and careful at the same time!

So so. Wanting to get out and do stuff to blow the cobwebs and shake the weight I’ve put on. Still working from home with little sign of going back for some time yet. Last weekend I wrote an article, originally for my blog but decided to give it to another. Its quite apt about how I feel with a number of things and when they post it (next Thursday) I will sling a link here.

Its still all really odd, and I agree, its a kind of half life limbo. Some bits I still love and others not so much. Unfortunately it is what it is and we have to live with that the best we can.

I’m one of those rare people that has quite enjoyed lockdown. I suffer from anxiety so the chance to stay at home with my husband and baby has been bliss. Obviously, I’ve been worrying about getting sick, and feeling immense pain for those who have lost loved ones.

I feel unsure about the easing of lockdown. It was great to get out to a charity shop yesterday (I’m working on a charity craft project and like to use up cycled materials) but I was the only one wearing a mask, keeping a distance, and saying “stay safe” to the shop assistants. It worries me how many people seem to believe the easing of restrictions means the pandemic is over.

1 Like

@kev I need to go into the office one day a week and working from home the rest of the week. I don’t think that will change any time soon if ever, but I actually prefer working partly from home and partly in the office. Seems to be a good mix for me.

Yes please put up a link to that blog when you’re finished with that article.

I’m enjoying spending more time outdoors than usual and yet I’ve put weight on (lockdown blubber).

@Senneferet I have enjoyed being with my family more myself. I feel like I am spending more time with friends/family I want to be around, rather than going out with people I’m making small talk with… That is refreshing! Having this time to step back makes me realise that I always felt like I was ‘on the go’ before and did things I felt ‘I should be doing’ rather than what I actually wanted to do.

I hope to carry on those positives in the future. :+1:t4:

LOL as it happens had to go in after posting that to deal with a minor emergency. Just got home and enjoyed the drive. I do like the working from home, just been to get out a little and stay well clear of others :slight_smile:

I’ve a week off soon (holiday canceled) and we’re not sure yet what we will be doing. Certainly enjoying family time though!

Yes plenty seem to think its all over and it not by a long way. Makes me angry but you can only look after yourselves really cant you?

Get outside while you can! Autumn will arrive with the usual viruses as well as possible spike of Corona. It might be a case of battening down the hatches then as much as poss.

I wonder how nurseries and schools will cope with having all kids again. Will worry about that later though!

1 Like

The link I promised…

1 Like

I can totally sympathise with the lack of a defined spiritual space. My altar has always been in “the spare room”. It’s where we also keep our shared work desk, wardrobes, and now a baby changing unit and all my craft stash. My husband didn’t understand how frustrating it is having this space contaminated. He tells me to spend more time in shrine but how can one commune with the gods with a pile of laundry behind you, or having nappy changes creating an impure atmosphere. Now he’s been in lockdown and can’t go to church, I think he’s starting to get it.

It does sound, at least on the surface, very privileged to have a separate religious room but we don’t have temples or churches. I feel it’s as important as, perhaps more so than, having separate rooms for all your children, a second toilet, a utility room.

1 Like

Thanks. Its not just the physical contaimination, its also the mental block that this space is no longer free of the mundane. I really hope I can work through this. When our kids were tiny we moved down stairs (to the basement - kitchen/dining room) freeing up this room which was our original sitting room, but with the open fire place and lots of not so kid friendly stuff we thought it best to leave this room for me.

I quite understand the stacks and chaos of little ones and this room then became a nice room to chill in, my wife would breast feed in here away for the TV and other distractions, or if either one of us needed escape it was a place to do. The long held place of serenity has been broken for now.

But you just have to get on and deal with it the best you can right? We will get through it!

1 Like

Hi @Senneferet and @kev,

Something I’ve found helpful is having my shrine (as you both know), which is a mini room/mini temple for me. I work in the same room, but because the shrine has doors, it’s a separate sacred space.

Kev I know you need a bigger sacred space. How about a wardrobe and put shelves in it to make a big shrine in your room? @Senneferet I don’t know how much space you need, but even a small sacred temple with doors is special. You could choose an old wooden wardrobe/cabinet that suits your style for example. Even a display cabinet could work.

Looks like things will stay the same until a vaccine is discovered, so might be worth rethinking how you organise your rooms.

It’s actually nice to have a sacred place in the same room to turn to the deities for a chat if I’m having a break/a difficult bit of work to do.

1 Like

In the office I spend time chatting to colleagues for a break, but at home I spend time chatting to deities instead. :wink:

1 Like