Shrine Of Thoth

A place for those that follow Thoth can hang out.

So, Iā€™m pretty new to the concept of offering to the gods/goddesses. Wondering what Thoth and Seshat go for and out of interest, how do you make your food offerings?

Thanks

From what I get, and my own personal preferences, that most Kemetics tend to go with the basics: Water, beer, wine, bread, food.

I will also throw in any produce from the gardens which for me will be hazel nuts or apples. Sometimes home brew mead/wine.

Give it as an offering during any prayers or ritual and once the gods have taken what they want from it (spiritually) then its fine to consume it afterwards as there should be no waste.

Some deities like extras, but most certainly most important is watching that you donā€™t insult them such as offering the flesh of their own associated animals to them.

Other than that offer whatever you think they may find useful and personal to you.
You canā€™t really go wrong otherwise.

Thanks Kev,

Simply and clearly put! I know in some belief systems they bury or burn the food afterwards or pour drink in the ground.

Itā€™s interesting that you take a different approach in Kemeticism.

2 Likes

This may be a silly question, but if you are speaking to two deities at the same time, does that mean theyā€™d prefer a bigger offering?

Fair point. No, not from my experience. The fact you care and can be bothered to offer something seems to be whatā€™s important.

Lovely. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Another question along similar lines (talking to deities): how do you know whether they are speaking to you or whether itā€™s just your own thoughts?

You really are coming up with some great questions! :slight_smile: From my own experiences, the ā€˜feelā€™ of them are different. Its hard to put into written language.

A comparable thing is like dream work. Normal organic dreams are all over the place and pretty chaotic. The special dreams, the ones that really matter, the ones that perhaps deities are feeding you, or your subconscious have a different ā€˜textureā€™. To me they tend to be persistent, clearer, distinct focus. Not sure if that has cleared anything up :slight_smile:

Going back to deity connection, again, the communications have a different ā€˜textureā€™ to them. The language is not quite mine, it might be more disjointed and difficulty to grasp. Iā€™ve also noticed that mine tend to initially go with emotional input (good, bad, happy, sad) because that is easier to communicate with rather than words. Over time it developed into words or whole concepts.

It takes time to learn to ā€˜listenā€™ to them and everyone is different.

I can relate to some of what you say. I think Iā€™m at the feeling/image stage, but talking more than listening at the moment!

Occasionally Ive thought Iā€™ve heard something, but then I question myself afterwards. Iā€™ve only ever had one dream many years ago that felt clear and not from myself.

Feelings seem to be more common with me.

1 Like

Fair enough, we all experience this differently. It takes time to learn how to communicate. Both sides need to find common ground that works.

LOL Just had the thought (popped in from nowhere - that could be my goddess as an example of how it goes) from the film Close Encounters Of The Third Kind, those moments when they are playing sounds at one another trying to work out what it means, and then getting all frustrated. Then finally it works and there is a huge burst of information exchange once the ā€˜languageā€™ has been established. That sort of sums up my early years at this. :slight_smile:

Enjoy the journey its fun and darn annoying at times!

Iā€™ve had my share of mental health issues, so trying to separate the gods from the random intrusive thoughts was always at the forefront of my mind. With hindsight, it was always obvious what was genuine and what was a ā€œsock puppetā€.

I was once at work, having a hard day, and said to Anpu ā€œyouā€™re testing me arenā€™t you?ā€. I wasnā€™t expecting an answer but I got a low chuckle from outside my head that made me nearly mess my pants. Bear in mind I worked in a funeral home and was on my own at the time!

I was once having a random, sepia coloured dream. Kind of like a 20s speakeasy. It suddenly paused, the colours changed to silver tones and I became more lucid. I found myself in a temple talking with Bast and Wesir. They then sent me back to the speakeasy, the colour changed back to sepia and I went on with my dream.

And then thereā€™s Djehuty and the broken biscuit. Lol

2 Likes

Youā€™re not alone there - I love those little chuckles from mine when I finally twig something. They are little sods at times but also bless poppets.

2 Likes

Actually, talking about chucklingā€¦ I thought I might have offended Djehuty and Seshat at one point. Went to them feeling sheepish, but they laughed in response. Took me by surprise!

Interesting about your dream Senneferet.

2 Likes

Soā€¦ Iā€™ve been reading about and Iā€™ve been spending lots of time with Tahuti. I think heā€™s a great deity to work with.

Iā€™m wondering whether there are any ā€˜darkerā€™ aspects to Tahuti?

I have seen him referred to as a bit of a trickster online in some places, but that hasnā€™t been my experience of him at all. Am I right in thinking that this element is more of a characteristic of Hermes?

I know that some see both Tahuti and Hermes as one and the sameā€¦ Sometimes referred to as hermes trismegistus in association with the ā€˜Emerald Tabletsā€™, which came after the Egyptian dynasties?

I donā€™t see Tahuti as the same deity as Hermes though.

I do know there is a myth where someone steals his book and as a result the person dies and so does his family? That doesnā€™t seem to be the Tahuti Iā€™ve experienced either thoughā€¦

Because heā€™s a deity of wisdom and in myth he has also encouraged peace between deities, killing someone seems contrary to his personality to meā€¦

Or maybe Iā€™m just on his good side? :wink:

Considering he aided the hiding of Osiris and Isis from the wrath of Ra when they were born, taught them everything he knew so they could one day take the thrown from Ra sort of hints at another side. Though I think in this case it was more fulfilling Maā€™at and the continuation of ligitimate rule rather than just overthrowing Ra.

Yeah maybe to do with Maā€™at.

Trickster sideā€¦ Perhaps I can see how Tehuti might be seen to have that side to him. The AEs tended to like hidden meanings and puns in their writingsā€¦ Perhaps itā€™s about keeping a person on their toes to challenge them mentally or develop their learning.

Apart from that one short story about someone stealing The Book of Thoth that I mentioned earlier, thatā€™s the only story I know of where he is said to enact vengeance. I am wondering though, whether that might a story to discourage people from stealing from the gods/temples. Who knows? No one really knows who wrote that story.

https://www.sacred-texts.com/egy/ael/ael07.htm

1 Like

The stories around the Book Of Thoth seem to all aim at dissuading people form getting their hands on it, perhaps a veiled threat that only the gods should wield such power and not mortals.

I will certainly keep my eye open for any further clues. I need to learn a few new stories for an event next month. You never know what might turn up! :slight_smile:

That does touch on something else that does puzzle meā€¦ On the one hand the ā€˜42 negative confessionsā€™ state that you shouldnā€™t kill anyone and yet the gods have done in the ancient storiesā€¦ One rule for humans and a different rule for deities?

Perhaps this is pointing towards the gods being the only ones to be in a position to judge whether a mortal lives or not. Pointing to them being the only ones that should hold certain knowledge?

Cool :slightly_smiling_face:

I wouldnā€™t say its one rule for them and one for the others. When the gods have killed they tend to feel remorse or suffer punishment (e.g. Sekhmet and Destruction of Mankind, Set killing Osiris), and while the Negative Confession is something to aim for, many do fall short because no one is perfect. Its an ideal more than solid rules.

1 Like