Shrine of Bastet

A place for those that follow Bastet (Bast) can hang out.

I have a major festival for Bastet just past on 27th Feb. Its the ‘Chewing Onions for Bastet’. I generally have a lot of onions that day. Though i do eat a fair number anyway! Last year I had onion soup for my evening meal. This year it was a ploughmans with lots of fruit, cheese and onion.

Gathering my onions for the ‘Chewing Onions for Bast’ this coming week :slight_smile:

I hope this is the right place to share a dream I once had involving Bast and Wesir (Osiris). The dream started off as a regular surreal dream, I think I was at a speakeasy and everything was sepia toned. Suddenly, the dream paused as everything went from sepia to a strange silver light. Bast and Wesir appeared and I felt very aware of not dreaming anymore. I had a chat with them both. Bast told me she wasn’t angry that her statue was damaged as it wasn’t my fault, but I should repair it. Wesir gave me an amazing fatherly hug. Then the silver melted away and I was back in the sepia speakeasy having a party.

Bast has also appeared to me in a meditation. She was a huge midnight blue/black panther that growled. I was so shocked I nearly fell off the bed!

LOL yeah they can be shocking at times. I’ve found the slightly stern but not completely forceful comments direct and helpful. OK a few times I feel I have got on the bad side but yeah, the feeling of being slightly told off feels familiar :slight_smile:

Did you fix the statue though?

Not yet. I have no garden to repaint it in. I don’t want to use strong paint in the house because of the little one.

Fair point it can be nasty stuff. What about the other way they worked with statues? Dressing them with clothes etc?

Another year and another ‘Chewing Onions For Bast’ festival today. So… Wonderful caramelized onion chutney on toast for breakfast (you must try it!), ham and onion chutney rolls, and for tea just now a Egyptian Shakshuka, with bacon, onion and red pepper pakoras (I didn’t have time to make any falalfels).

I do really enjoy this festival!

Ok im freaked out i ate onions today had a huge urge to eat them. Oh its my bday to so thats really cool

1 Like

Lol it was my birthday too yesterday :slight_smile: That is another reason why I enjoy this festival.

1 Like

Happy belated birthdays Anup and Kev

2 Likes

Thank you! Had much fun on Saturday with the family

Yesterday was the festival of Chewing Onions for Bast. Being extra special this year this will be a few days either side of the festival day. Enjoying it very much at the moment. :slight_smile:

I’m being bad with festivals at the moment! Haven’t kept track.

The title has put me off the festival of chewing onions :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Although I appreciate Bast, I’ve not actually looked into that festival!

1 Like

I love onions so not a problem :slight_smile: I have no idea if that was the point of the festival, because as with almost all festivals that weren’t’ major ones very few records survive. I’m only assuming that onions were consumed by the word ‘chewing’ and that onions were a staple food for them.

1 Like

Well I do like onions. I think it conjured up images of people chewing lots of raw onions for some reason :smile:

LOL. I like them a lot but even I might draw a line at that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I believe it’s around that time of year to celebrate Baster again!

I’ve been feeling a spontaneous connection to her yesterday and today. I decided to look her up again. I am reminded that Feb/March is her feast depending on how you work out your festival calendar.

Considering our current COVID-19 situation in the UK, I think it’s a good time for me to remember and honour the goddess in some way. She is a cool goddess in many ways :smiley_cat:

1 Like