Museums of Interest to Visit

Now that sounds an interesting idea! :slight_smile:

Actually that is now sounding a really good idea as Iā€™ve found most of my pictures of the BM and Petrie are a little too blurred or clipped for inclusion in the book so Iā€™m just going to have to take some new ones :slight_smile:

Will see how the calendar is looking as its getting pretty busy. If any of the dates suite others then you are welcome to tag along. Its most likely going to be a Saturday as thatā€™s the only chance I will get to visit both the BM and Petrie. Might take a mooch around Tredwells while Iā€™m there too, as well, its booksā€¦

K

Hi all. Looks like my train discount card runs out soon so I would like to give it one go this year! Two dates I have in mind are 20th October and 3rd November. How do they sound?

The Museum in central Birmingham is great too. Has a wonderful section containing many artefacts. Can definitely spend a few hours in there !

1 Like

Ooo thanks for that. I know there are a few up that way and so many on my list to visit :slight_smile:

Btw welcome to the forum!
K

1 Like

Thank you. :slight_smile: Iā€™m looking forward to finding my way about and finding interesting reads.

1 Like

Youā€™re welcome. Thereā€™s some good stuff here already and it you have any of your own then go right ahead and post. K

Sorry that I missed this post, although thereā€™s no way I could have made such a huge trip on such short notice anyway.

Iā€™d still be interested in future meet ups, Iā€™d just need a tooouch more notice (lol) to save up and arrange travel and accommodation for something/somewhere like that!

1 Like

Sure. It was a urgent trip before my ticket ran out. I need to renew my travel card and once I do then I will sort out another ā€˜research tripā€™ as an excuse. I promise to give more notice!

Kev

Reporting back- SOANE MUSEUM, London.

I went to this museum for the very first time during the week, as I had a job interview in London and recently saw an article about the sarcophagus of Seti I on the KT facebook page. (The things you guys make me do, honestly!! lol)

this is definitely a MUST if you are in London. The museum itself is crammed full of stuff, so several visits are needed if you want to see it all/ take it all in. I focused mostly on the sarcophagus, and mooching round. It was unbelievable!
The Gods were also smiling upon me as I got into one of the rooms upstairs just as someone who was having a private 1:1 guided tour was shown a hidden panel- with the portrait of Belzoni (who discovered the sarcophagus).

the only downside was that they ask for phones to be switched off and no photos are allowed in the museum. so I canā€™t show you guys anything. (the upside was that my ONLY option was to buy the book they sell with the whole history and translation of the Book of the Gates.)

note to myself: must go back and do an evening tour when the rooms and sarcophagus get lit up.

1 Like

Thanks. Its still an option to include, especially if there for the whole weekend. Of course also have the needle on the river to look at. Not been near it in years so donā€™t know its current state.

The Great North Museum in Newcastle has a nice Egyptian gallery, with a statue of Sekhmet (on loan from the BM I think), a couple of mummies and various other artefacts.

1 Like

I second the Birmingham Museum. I used to love visiting when I lived near the Jewellery Quarter. I heard that Highclere, where they filmed Downton Abbey, has a good Egyptian collection. Itā€™s quite pricey to get in so Iā€™ve not checked it out myself.

1 Like

So many places to go! Need a tour planned I think :wink: