Mapping our practice to our local area or circumstances

If we don’t happen to live in Egypt or anyway of similar climate, how do we apply those ancient practices in a modern environment?

I live in a coastal river valley and have been exploring that as my ‘Nile’. No where near the same but its the best I have so I work with it. :slight_smile:

Sorry to revive an old thread but I thought this blog might be interesting: https://thetwistedrope.wordpress.com/2020/05/03/ecology-calendar-2/
I’ve always found I am more comfortable living near running water, like a stream or a river. I doubt I would have enjoyed the heat in ancient Egypt but I bet I would have loved the Nile.

1 Like

Its a good point and well worth considering. I grew up on the edge of Deal, Kent. The land there is was pretty flat with a wonderful clear view of the sky and I loved watching the stars as they wheeled across the sky through the year. Also my walk to school and then to the railway station near by for work over the years lead me to understand the weather system. I used to have a solid grasp of how the day would develop every morning as I left the house.

Now though, I’m in the bottom of the river valley in Dover. My sky is much more reduced and the weather system in the valley bares little relation to what it’s like outside of town on the hills so weather prediction is a little harder. On the plus side of that aspect, I’ve always had a skill with weather magic and because the valley appears to have its own system I find it easier to work with.

Been here for almost 20 years now and I’ve sussed out much of the rhythm and feel for the cycles here. I do of course have my Dour river (more of a rare chalk stream than the Nile) which is my own mini Nile and the beach as I’m a great fan of the wild sea.

It takes time to understand all of this weather, growing, sky cycles. It adds a huge benefit to our own sense of presence. Perhaps I’m privileged as both Deal and Dover while quite well populated, I can me in countryside and woodland and beach in moments so have the best of everything.

1 Like