Isis, Osiris & Horus

Do you think the mythology surrounding these three deities are the basis for the Christian holy trinity of God the father, son and Holy Spirit? If so, how much of an influence did Kemetic mythology have?

No civilisation can truly exist in a bubble and so there may have been some crossover. However, I don’t sit well with the argument that all of Christianity was stolen from Kemet. The Madonna is similar to statues of Aset (Isis) nursing. So are pictures of me and my daughter. It is human nature we are capturing.

The Holy Trinity, or even the so-called Holy Family of Mary, Jesus, and Jehovah/Yahweh/etc is very different to the trio of Aset, Wesir, and Heru. Why focus on this trinity instead of the many others in ancient Egypt?

You get the meme every Christmas/Easter about how Horus the Younger is basically Jesus, despite them having nothing in common. Aset was not a virgin nor human when She conceived. She used magic to resurrect Wesir long enough to get pregnant. Heru didn’t really have disciples, nor did He resurrect.

I’ve discussed this at length with my Christian husband and we can’t really find anything to back up the claims beyond there being three. Three is a good number though, forms a triangle, the strongest shape. That’s what we say when people ask if we are going to have any more children :wink:

2 Likes

I doubt it, really. I don’t think the roles really fit; as well as the virgin birth and whole Marian thing coming along later in the Christian oral tradition, I think. Paul never mentions the virgin birth or Miriam either.

Some good points made by both of you!

I’m inclined to agree with you there.

1 Like