How to make a Sistrum

Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips for making a sistrum easily? I want a small/tiny metallic one (to fit in my small shrine). Either that or is there anywhere that makes good affordable ones?

Thanks!

Cassandra asked in my FB live thing last week and I recorded this quick tour for her of the one I made.

1 Like

I’ll have a look. Thanks :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yours is massive. KEV :joy:
I bought mine but I can’t remember where. Etsy or ebay?

1 Like

That looks sturdy and good quality Anippe!

Both are good examples.

Just wondering what you use the sistrum for please?!
Also, I have read somewhere that I need natron. Do you use that too or can just salt be used?

Hi Sunworshipper,

Sistrums were used by Ancient Egyptians in rituals/ceremonies. The below link from the Metropolitan Museum explains it pretty well in a short explanation. It also shows an ancient example:

https://www.metmuseum.org/art/collection/search/553814

I have a lazy way of making natron. I use equal amounts of baking soda and rock salt. When I want to use it I mix it with hot water so it dissolves. I don’t use it all the time though!

As @LittleIbis says you can make something similar. You don’t really need to have it at all, I’ve never used it myself, but what I do for ritual purity is use baking soda toothpaste to cleanse my mouth for uttering heka. You do what you have to do really :slight_smile:

Yeah, I sometimes brush my teeth with a toothpaste that could contains baking soda before a ritual.

If I’m in a rush like today, I don’t do either.

1 Like

I’ve been thinking about music with its role in ritual or generally as a way to connect with the gods. I came across some YouTube videos about the sistrum, so thought I’d share a couple here.

I still don’t own a sistrum yet, but I do sometimes play the sistrum on a YouTube video when I’m at shrine. I can play it quietly then.

At some point I’d like to play an actual sistrum in ritual!