Festival Calendar

Various festivals we can take a look at.

Festival name Description AE Date Gregorian Calendar Date Basis of date calculation Source Who added it
Greater Festival Selket Something for Selket n/a 6th November n/a @kev @kev
Festival of Hathor 27 Oct @kev
Herishef Festival 22 Nov @anippe
Festival of Hathor 2 Nov @anippe
Raising the djed pillar 6 Nov @anippe
plouging the earth 7 nov @anippe
feast of sekhmet bast oct 31 @anippe
Ennead feast and invocation to the AKHU nov 15 @anippe
festival of bast 16th nov @anippe
Day of Sekhmet and the Purifying Flame 20 nov @anippe
day of offerings to Sekhmet 24 nov @anippe
Hathor goes forth to her people 3 nov @kev
Greater feast of Selket 5 nov @kev
Coming forth of the Bennu Bird 12 nov @kev
Festival of purifying the Ennead 18th nov @kev
Festival of Hathor and Sekhmet 11 dec @kev
Ten Dead Deities Of Dendera 16 dec - 25 dec @kev
Festival Of Hathor 11 jan @kev
Ogdoad Festival 16 jan 25 jan @kev
Festival Of Chewing Onions For Bast 27 feb @kev
festival hathor 20 april @kev
festival hathor 26 june @kev
Festival of adoration of Anubus 7 apr @kev
Feast of the Beautiful Valley Feast of the Beautiful Valley 28 apr @LittleIbis

Feel free to add any festivals you want. To do so, just reply to this topic and in the little cog option of the reply box is an ‘insert date’ option. Leave the times as they are and just have the start date to make it an all day event. Then fill in the rest of the topic reply with a festival title and make sure you flag it to occur every year otherwise, once done, it will disappear off of the list!

The calendar display may not be great, so from time-to-time I will pick up the new entries and add to the table form too. Make sure you provide enough details for me to do so! Thanks

1 Like

Festival Of Hathor
2021-01-11T00:00:00Z

2021-01-16T00:00:00Z2021-01-25T00:00:00Z
Ogdoad Festival

2021-02-27T00:00:00Z
Festival Of Chewing Onions For Bast

But if I flag something to occur every year, won’t that bring it up on the same Gregorian date every year? That seems like it wouldn’t work well for a calendar that shifts relative to ours.

I’m hesitant to add dates to the calendar b/c I don’t know what date other people are using for Wep Ronpet. I feel like everyone’s dates are going to be different.

That is true, it will be to the Gregorian calendar. Some use that instead of recalculating each year. I do for many as I’ve way too many festivals to shift otherwise. Only one do I recalc each year as that is based on the lunar calendar as its a lunar festival.

As far as Wep Ronpet, I will agree, most will be different. Again some use the rising of Sirius in varying locations, some stick to the same date each year and others will no doubt do something different. I have two for example: Summer solstice which was one of the three markers in early dynastic (mainly because the other two don’t really apply to me such as the Nile and Sirius rising). And the other around the first week of August like some others (though I think it should actually properly be September) as my main festival calendar is based on dates which make that the start of the year.

Its fun. A good point to keep in mind is that they often messed with their calendar anyway so its fine if we don’t agree. Well, that’s what I keep telling myself :slight_smile:

Festival Of Hathor
2021-04-19T23:00:00Z

2021-06-25T23:00:00Z
Festival of Hathor

Something is not quite right with this. Just updated and once and event has expired it completely drops off the calendar even though it is a recurring one. It might work with new events. If it does not then will have to locate another method. Will see what happens with the one for the 20th April.

2021-04-06T23:00:00Z

Festival of adoration of Anubus

Thanks Kev,

I tried to view the calendar a couple of times, but couldn’t see anything. I wasn’t sure if it was just me.

A refresh of the back end fixed it. I suspect because it has had a lot of bug fixes it needed a poke. We will see if it is worth keeping. Had a look for another option today and couldn’t find any that would work, so the only one left is a boring table and not a calendar view.

To be honest a calendar doesn’t really add anything thing. It will always be repeated every year so I think a table would be clearer and it would allow someone to print the list off and make changes. Also we could include our calendar date as well as any original AE dates so someone can then recalculate more easily.

1 Like

Yeah that sounds good. A table is what I had in mind.

1 Like

OK the festival from a day or so ago is still showing in the calendar and the posting gives the new date but it does not appear in the calendar for next year. No, lets use a table this makes little sense.

1 Like

Table format added. Will add those above a bit later. Any new ones I will pick up as and when I can going forward.

1 Like

Lovely, thanks kev :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi all,

I’ve found something online that’ll help with the whole ‘when do I celebrate Wep Ronpet’, question.

Someone online posted a link to a website where you can check the heliacal rising of Sirius:

1. I put the location is as Cairo
  2. Ticked Observability
    3.Object Type: Any
  3. Object: Sirius
  4. Rows: 250
  5. Update

The first day that Sirius is visible in 2021 in Egypt is August 8th!

1 Like

Useful for those that need it, thanks. Some also put in their current location, I know quite a few in the USA do.

Using current location also makes sense. :slightly_smiling_face:

I wonder how the ancients at Aset’s temple in London calculated their festival dates. If only we could go back in time and ask them!