Conversations in the House of Life: A New Translation of the Ancient Egyptian Book of Thoth Book by Karl-Theodor Zauzich and Richard Jasnow

Hello,

I have just finished reading this book. I think it’s a great resource for people interested in Djehuty, Seshat or initiation into the House of Life in antiquity.

The introduction provides interesting information about the development of different forms of writing in ancient Egypt. It also explains the difficulties that translators face when translating the primary texts in this book. There are helpful colour photographs of papyrus to accompany the explanations.

Although the surviving ancient texts are very fragmentary, the commentary that accompanies each page is brilliant. It also offers alternative translations.

It was written with the general reader in mind, so it is not too academic.

I feel like I need to read it again/research around it to gain a deeper understanding of it.

2 Likes

Ordered, thank you!!

1 Like

My copy turned up on Friday. I ordered this 2021 edition, printed by Harassowitz Verlag, from Amazon

The quality is fantastic… I’ve only read the introductory sections so far, since the main text looks like it will need a lot of attention and focused effort. Aside from the fine writing, this is a wonderfully produced book, with colour images and high quality print, and a decent grade of paper.

Thank you for the recommendation.

1 Like